Intro

For 8 years I have been working on my weight problem. I have worked hard to lose a lot of weight only to gain it back, lose, gain, maintain, lose, gain it ALL back and now losing again. I am determined to finish what I have started, so please join me on my journey of self discovery and PLEASE feel free to jump in and join me!

Starting today - I am beginning my journey anew!

Starting today - I am not going to let the failures of the past haunt me anymore!

Starting today - I am going to make my well-being a PRIORITY in my life!

Sunday, March 11, 2012

P90X - Day 20
March 9, 2012



Workout:     I did not do a workout today. Now I could have left my son at the hospital and at least taken a walk around the block outside in the beautiful sunshine that we had today, but for those of you who are not as experienced as I in Hospital Healthcare let me enlighten you on why I do not leave my child without parental supervision. WARNING: I am now about to use my soap box!

    With the exception of an intensive care unit most pediatric wings have nurses with 3-6 patients each. The nurses are required by law to make rounds to each patient, but only chart vitals every 2-4 hours. If a nurse spends 5 minutes in a room, she then has 10 minutes of charting and that means that if she carries 6 patients she will only be able to check on your child every 1 hour and 15 minutes. If the nurse has meds, diaper changes, bathrooming, vomit clean-up, discharging or a doctor rounding she can spend up to 20 minutes with a patient and then have 10-30 minutes of charting. That means that you may not see your nurse for upwards of 2-3 hours! I have 13 years of experience as a parent of a chronically ill child. I have had days at the hospital where I have only seen my nurse 3 times in a 12 hour shift! This coupled with returning on almost every occasion of leaving my child for longer than 1 hour, only to have my child in some state of dishevelment or anxiety, such as; low oxygen sats, ventilator alarming, tubes disconnected, monitors, IV or Feed pumps alarming, high heart rate and tears from crying, sweaty, feverish, dirty diapered or otherwise, that I am now pretty much a permanent fixture in the room during a hospital stay. I know every nurse who reads this blog is going to be pissed about these statements, but every word is true. We have used 5 different hospitals in 3 different states in the US and every one has been the exact same. Too many patients and too little supervision.

     The moral of my story is this, don’t ever leave your child in the “capable” hands of your hospital staff if you are at all concerned about there illness/health problem worsening or having a serious complication where time is of the essence… they just are not equipped for it on a regular pediatric floor!

Whew - I’ll stop ranting now!!


Diet:
     I was pleasantly surprised to find that our hospital has improved the snacking selections in the cafeteria since we were there in November. MANY more healthy option were available than ever before and a lot of them high in protein! I did pretty good considering where I was, that is until my hubby with him to grab some fast food for himself for dinner and I could not resist a soft serve rootbeer float!


Greek yogurt
½ c granola
2 c fresh fruit
3 c water
-----
½ snack size hummus & pretzels
½ lg ham, turkey & cheese on Rye
V8 juice
3c water
-----
2 boiled eggs
V8 juice
2 c water
-----
4 oz salmon
1 c jasmine rice
Diet soda
-----
Fruit & Nut bar
½ sourdough roll
-----
½ sm fry
20 oz rootbeer float
-----
2190 cal


~Laura~

No comments: