Intro

For 8 years I have been working on my weight problem. I have worked hard to lose a lot of weight only to gain it back, lose, gain, maintain, lose, gain it ALL back and now losing again. I am determined to finish what I have started, so please join me on my journey of self discovery and PLEASE feel free to jump in and join me!

Starting today - I am beginning my journey anew!

Starting today - I am not going to let the failures of the past haunt me anymore!

Starting today - I am going to make my well-being a PRIORITY in my life!

Saturday, March 10, 2012


Jalapeno Poppers

Serves: 20

Makes: 40 poppers

Hands-on time: 45 minutes

Total time: 1 hour, 5 minutes

INGREDIENTS:

• 20 medium jalapeño peppers
• 1 cup spelt flour or whole-wheat flour
• 1 cup cornmeal, finely ground
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp sea salt
• 1 tsp chile powder
• 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
• 3/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
• 1/4 cup egg whites
• 3 tbsp raw honey
• 1/3 cup cilantro sprigs, chopped
• 3 green onions, thinly sliced (about 1/3 cup)
• 1 1/4 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese, divided
• 1/3 cup low-fat sour cream (optional)
• 1/3 cup all-natural jarred salsa (optional)

SPECIAL EQUIPMENT:

• Plastic gloves

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 400°F.

2. Wearing gloves, cut stem end off each jalapeño and discard. Cut peppers in half lengthwise and, using a small paring knife or a teaspoon, carefully cut or scoop out seeds and discard. Place peppers cut-side-up on a parchment-lined baking sheet; set aside. NOTE: Most of the heat in a jalapeño pepper is in the seeds. By removing the seeds, we’re left with a flavorful pepper with a great little kick. Always wear gloves when handling hot peppers.

3. In a medium-size bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, chile powder and cumin; set aside.

4. In a separate bowl, whisk together yogurt, egg whites and honey. Add yogurt mixture, plus cilantro, green onions and 1 cup cheese to dry ingredients and mix well until just combined.

5. With gloves, spoon about 2 tsp mixture into the center of each jalapeño half. Smooth tops of mixture and place jalapeños back onto baking sheet, filling-side-up.

6. Place tray into oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle stuffed jalapeños with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and continue to bake for 2 more minutes or until top is golden brown and cheese is melted. Let cool at room temperature for 5 minutes before serving. Arrange on a platter and serve immediately with sour cream and salsa for dipping, if desired.



Nutrients per 2 poppers (2 stuffed jalapeño halves):
Calories: 82, Total Fat: 1.5 g, Sat. Fat: 0.5 g, Carbs: 13 g, Fiber: 2 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 4 g, Sodium: 171 mg, Cholesterol: 3.5 mg

http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/Recipes/Recipe/Cheddar-Cornbread-Jalapeno-Poppers.aspx

No comments: